I realize that I haven't posted lately about what Rip & I doing with our training time. My work duties (travel! projects!) continue to be onerous, so my training time is a bit sparse. We are making progress, though!
Right now we're working on:
- Go out games - including hitting the stanchion, taking cheese off the stanchion, and running to a pvc box, turning towards me & sitting in the box.
- Retrieving - Rip loves retrieving! We're working with wood, plastic, metal, and leather dumbbells. Rip now reliably retrieves when I throw the dumbbell (though I still have to hold his collar to keep him in place while I'm throwing). We're not doing any fronts - I'm just having Rip bring it back to me and drop it when I release him to the treat I've thrown.
- A better dumbbell hold. Naughty Rip likes to play with the dumbbell when returning to me - mouthing it instead of holding it politely. No surprise there - why just hold a dumbbell when you can hold it, run, AND chomp on it?!
- Side-passing (horse people will know this term) - I'm training Rip to walk sideways when facing me - moving to stay perpendicular to me as I move back & forth. Prep for fronts.
- Heeling! We love to heel! Now we're adding in automatic sits and slow pace.
- A new trick that I really hope we can pull off. I'll record it and post it on YouTube if I can pull it off. So far Rip hasn't had an "I get it!" moment, so we'll see.
What we should be working on but aren't:
- Agility (sigh. where does the time go?)
- Stays. Must start seriously working stays. I know it's bad of me not be working on these more often. I'm just so thrilled to have a dog who loves to play that I hate to "waste" our precious training time on the stay.
Since I don't have a training picture, I'll end with a picture that shows what happens when Rip is bored due to lack of training. Naughty dog. Or maybe he just wants to play MarioCart on the Wii.