With Ziggy keeping things fun is paramount. He really would rather be on the sofa most of the time.
Can my lesson plans include sofa time?
Here's the plan for Ziggy:
- Fun heeling! Not sits or set-ups - just lots of energy, short session of heeling interspersed with running back to our (out of the ring) food rewards. Goal is to make heeling rewarding, active & fun.
- To our heeling, we're also adding in recalls and retrieves - all on the move, and flowing together. The idea is to keep it all fun.
- Attend show-n-go's whenever we can to build confidence in the ring. Last weekend we did a couple of beginning novice runs, and the group stays for novice.
- Our near-term goal is to get our beginning novice obedience title. This title is all on-leash, which seems to make Z feel more comfortable.
- I've been re-training the weaves. I took too much time off in the middle of the last method, and things seemed to fall apart a bit. Ziggy is now weaving all 12 poles (relatively quickly).
- Courses - we're now running courses twice a week to work on flow and handling.
- Jumping - work on jump grids/exercises once a week to build confidence & speed.
- Build confidence in new places. This is one of the reasons I'm focusing on agility as of late. It gets Ziggy working off-leash in new places, and seems to be having the desired affect of building his confidence.
- 6 days a week. Z is working for his dinner most nights...